February 8, 2006

The Magic Taking Hold - Some Very Dark Days

Remember that slightly high temperature I told you all about in the last entry? Well, the next morning I woke up with a raging fever, convulsed with shivering and drenched in sweat, and for the last week I have been confined to the shadows of a tiny poky room with no hot water on doctor´s orders.
I´m very sick. The only reason Í am typing this is because I´m starting to go a bit crazy being in that room on my own all this time. It might pass some time.
I´m so miserable and it's hard to fight the urge to want to go home. (Well, no I suppose thats not true, although I really wish I was there right now.) Basically, I'm too sick to even get home! The doctor was called and due to some translation issues I couldnt really understand what he was saying was wrong with me. I got "infection" and "no go out" and "lots of liquids". He prescribed some antibiotics, relieved me of $60 and left. Delerium set in, as I was too weak to go out with my prescription. It got so bad at one point, I found myself laughing hysterically at a "melon balls" joke on Dharma and Greg. THANK THE LORD there is a tv in the room with some American stations on it. Never have I been so overjoyed to watch Friends and Smallville!
The girls in the hostal are great and they keep checking on me. According to them, the doctor said Im not allowd to drink cold water, but today I realised that I have all the symptoms of bad dehydration so feck that! Im overruling him! CAnt eat, the smell of food makes me heave, and the girls, though meaning well, are watching me like hawks on the doc's instructions.
Came off those awful antibiotucs today which hopefully will mean that the vomiting will stop at least. My plans for Bolivia are screwed! Its´looking now like I might have to miss it entirely. :( Boo-hoo! I´m going to see if I can change my Easter Island flight dates..if I could do that, I´d have some spare time on my hands.
In the meantime, I´m stuck watching repeats of crappy American sitcoms (although I´m not complaining!). RainMan is on tonight - the absolute highlight of my day. I have it all figured out, I can position myself right inside the door of the loo on a stool for easy access and using the mirror from the wall, I can watch TV indirectly! Ingenius!

No comments:

Post a Comment