September 11, 2005

Isla de Pascua

Ever since I was fifteen I've wanted to see Easter Island. It has always seemed a dim and distant possibility, and even after the idea for this trip was conceived it didn't look as if it would be easy to get to. It's one of the most remote places on Earth, but for that reason alone it is surely worth making the effort to see it just once in your life.
Today, at 3:45p.m., I booked my return flight to Rapa Nui. I leave Santiago on Feb 15th for a 3-day detour to see this mysterious piece of land in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I should arrive just in time for the end of one of their most famous festivals, Tapiti RapaNui. It could make getting accomodation more difficult and significantly more pricey, but it's going to be worth every cent!

No comments:

Post a Comment