September 5, 2005

Donde Esta El Nearest Campsite?

It's 10:30 a.m., and already it's shaping up to be one of those days. My co-workers are just about managaing to grunt at each and are wearing the faces of people who've indulged in a little too much this weekend, our diamond of a boss is in one of his "moods" about something, and we have two new people starting work here today (god love them!). I have the inclination of a piece of flaccid lettuce to actually do anything constructive today. It's Monday.
However, this is a short week for me. Only one more day before my brother and I jet off for 10 long, lazy days in Spain. Now that it's in sight, I'm looking forward to it hugely. I've been so caught up in the planning and preparation for my trip in January, that this took a bit of a back seat. We haven't really laid out any itinerary for this, apart from picking up a car at Girona Airport. We'll take it from there.
We're going to be doing this on a budget though, so apart from the luxury of having a car to get around, in all other aspects, it's backpacking in earnest! Hostels and campsites all the way. All the research I've been doing lately for South America has really impressed upon me just how expensive it is to holiday in most of Europe. Saying that, Spain is comparatively cheaper than Ireland in many respects - food and beer are definitely better value, so with a bit of careful planning I think we can make our euros stretch.
For once, I'm organised on the packing front! Instead of the usual last minute flurry, tearing dirty clothes out of drawers and power-washing through the night, I've managed to isolate what I'm taking and have everything washed and ready in advance. (thanks to Mam! ). I have to work tonight and tomorrow, and we're leaving very early on Wednesday morning, so I had to get my ass in gear this time.
Usually, I'm one of those people who overpacks for holidays. I try to bring clothes and shoes to cover all possible situations, and invariably end up not using half of them! I think it's a flaw of the female condition, most women I know are the same. A look of horror flashes across their faces at the thought of ending up in a situation where they might not have the right outfit! LOL. So, the new me, backpacking me, is determined not to haul half the wardrobe with me this time.
This time, I'm making do with -
  • 3 pairs of pants (1 heavy for night-time)
  • 3 T-shirts
  • PJs
  • thermals in case its cold camping at night
  • 1 jumper
  • 1 paclite jacket
  • 1 shirt
  • 2 skirts
  • 2 slightly dressier tops for night-time
  • sandals and flip-flops

It's all fitting in a 35L rucksack with room to spare.

Now, it better not be raining over there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment