August 21, 2006

Possibilities

There's a touch of Spring in the air today. The sun is shining, the sky is blue and the birds seem to be all out singing. Not a lot has happened in the last while really. Just getting settled into the Kiwi way of life, adapting to new surroundings, and making some new friends. As it happens, there are quite a lot of people staying in this hostel who are doing the same thing as myself - sticking around for a year or so to experience living and working in New Zealand.
One thing that life seems to revolve around here is rugby. This weekend the All Blacks beat the Wallabies here in Eden Pk., Auckland. I decided against forking out $100 for a match ticket and opted instead to watch it from the comfort of the hostel couch. Undoubtedly, there will be more opportunities to see the All Blacks in action during the year.
Last night I ran smack bang into a guy who was my roommate for a week in Rio. It was pretty funny actually. Why is it that people let out a string of curses when they are surprised or shocked my something? So, we went for a drink and a catch up, which was nice. The more I travel the more I realise the world is not as big as we think at all!
I have a job interview lined up for tomorrow morning with a lawyer's firm here in Auckland. So, fingers crossed that they can set me up with something decent for a few months! It will actually be good to get back working for a while, have some routine for a bit. I'm so looking forward to moving into an apartment, unpacking my backpack FINALLY!, throwing away my raggedy threads which have seen to many washes over the last 8 months, and having a wardrobe again!
The plan right now is maybe to stick around in either Auckland or Wellington (depending on where I end up working) until about Jan/Feb. After that time, I'm going to quit work for a bit, travel around, do the skydives and stuff, tour the South Island, and then hopefully work in one of the ski resorts in Queenstown for the last few months here. After that, it's off to Asia I think. I'm more interested in Central Asia than South-East Asia, especially China, Tibet and Nepal. Burma and Laos are high on the To Do list as well, not to mention India, which had intially been my intended start off point on this trip. I might even try to get to Mongolia if I can. Not too sure about Australia. I might give it a miss this time, and just do it on its own as a holiday sometime in the future. It's all a bit far away to be planning yet anyway, and it's very much dependent on what sort of cash I can manage to put away here in NZ, but that's what I'm aiming for anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment